How do you know is a Keto diet (a.k.a. becoming fuelled by fat) is right for you? It’s all about listening to your body. Your body sends you signals all the time. If you’re not aware or attuned to picking them up you could miss them and keep doing the things that are leading to unhappiness and dissatisfaction with your body and health.
So, here’s a fun little secret: It’s not hard to find out if your body and mind feel better on a low carb high fat diet. For lots of people, increasing fat intake, lowering carbohydrate intake and paying more attention to self-care is an easy starting point for giving your body what it needs.
Here are some classic signs that your body needs more fat:
- You have become allergic or insensitive to foods you never used to react to. Symptoms can include acne, bloating, constipation, itchy skin or joint pain.
- Post-meal bloat is a constant in your life.
- You experience headaches, weight gain, sluggishness, constipation and random symptoms that interfere with your daily life.
- You’ve tried different eating styles but none of them have made you feel good or look great.
- Thirty minutes after eating you experience intense sleepiness
- No matter how hard you try to avoid it, sugar cravings are an issue.
- You need afternoon pick-me-ups to keep you and your brain going.
- You have moments of extreme emotional highs and lows and don’t know why.
- Your feet and/or hands are freezing most of the time.
- You feel like you could gain weight by just looking at a chocolate bar – no matter how little you eat, your weight doesn’t change.
- You often experience tiredness, breast tenderness, irritability or cystic acne.
- Much of what you eat is steamed or low fat and tastes like cardboard.
- Candida is an issue for you but the restrictive diet to kill candida is too stressful to think about implementing.
- You experience pain or stiffness in your joints, generally early in the morning or a couple hours after eating.
- You have trouble recalling names and events or what you did yesterday.
- Crowded places stress you out and feel overwhelming.
- Your skin flakes all the time.
- Your hair is frizzy and dry.
If you recognize two or more of these symptoms in yourself, there is a good chance you could use some additional healthy fats in your diet. Sign up at nourishme.ca or send me an email at email@example.com and I’ll send you a free test to take and see if a Keto diet feels right for you!
Registered Holistic Nutritionist
Jill is a Vancouver-based mom, health researcher (MJ) and Holistic Nutritionist. Her passion is optimizing health and aging thru diet, supplements and lifestyle choices. Her goal is to share her knowledge and help others. Jill works with groups and on a one to one basis with clients.