Why do a cleanse?
A cleanse is a detoxifying diet that can help increase energy, decrease allergy symptoms, reduce hormonal imbalances, improve digestion, clear sinuses, help stabilize mood swings, decrease bloat, improve sleep, clear skin and much more.
For 15 days you clear out the processed foods from your diet. You increase vegetable intake and green juices. Many people end up feeling much better and are then motivated to continue. It’s a kickstart for your health, and some people do health resets three to four times a year.
Here are 10 tips to get you started on a healing cleanse:
- Cut back or eliminate meat and dairy products at least for a while to give your body a break. Meat is highly acid-forming in your body, can be a strain on the kidneys and intestines (low water, no fiber and requiring plenty of energy to digest) and dairy is mucus-forming and many people lack sufficient enzymes to properly digest it.
- Don’t eat it if you can’t read it. Read labels on the healthy food selections you choose. Most preservatives, synthetic flavors, and other artificial ingredients have long, complex names. If you find ingredients that you can’t read or pronounce don’t buy it and definitely don’t eat it. Choose fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, local when possible.
- Take out the trash... from your diet, that is. I probably don’t have to tell you what constitutes “trash:” fried and sugary foods, and the 3 Ps: processed, prepared and packaged food since they tend to be full of trans fats, sugar and food additives.
- Get those green veggies in! I like to up the green juice and smoothie quota significantly when I do a cleanse. Those green veggies are like rocket fuel for your cells. Get’em in! Keep them green and mean as much as possible. Season with lemon or ginger instead of fruit.
- Think simple. Asparagus and fish with olive oil, chives, lemon and sea salt. How good is that and it’s all whole foods! Fun fact: green onions are one of the most nutrient dense veggies! Smaller, simpler meals eaten more frequently throughout the day not only help ease the burden on your digestive system, they also balance blood sugar levels. Unstable blood sugar levels are linked to weight gain and mood and energy fluctuations.
- Use herbs to give your body a boost. Milk thistle (included in my cleanse protocol) is a proven liver-regenerator and detoxifier,. Many other herbs such as dandelion and uva ursi are well-established kidney-restoring herbs. Sea buckthorn powder helps the lungs and flaxseeds help eliminate toxic material from the intestines. Not to mention the herbs you can grow in your garden such as oregano, mint and cilantro add a powerful nutrient boost to meals.
- Enjoy a hot bath. On its own it is relaxing but to boost the cleansing effects, just add a cup of Epsom salts or baking soda. Both alkalize the water to help neutralize acidic toxins. Epsom salts help your body to absorb magnesium–a mineral some experts estimate is deficient in 80 percent of people. Magnesium neutralizes acidic toxins, relaxes muscles and is required by hundreds of functions.
- Drink plenty of pure water daily to flush out toxins. For a great detoxifying drink, add the fresh juice of one lemon to a large glass of water first thing in the morning and drink it either warm or room temperature. Lemons help alkalize your body chemistry, contain more than 20 anti-cancer compounds and help cleanse your liver, kidneys and colon.
- Dry brush! Keep it in your bathroom and do it daily before a bath or shower. Start on the bottom of your feet and sweep upwards on one side of your body towards the heart and then do the other side.
- Move that lymph tissue around and pump your blood. The lymphatic system is a critical part of the body — you have twice as much lymph fluid as blood! It is made up of tissues and organs that rid the body of toxins, waste, and other unwanted materials. It is part of your natural sewage treatment system and a major transporter of white blood cells (WBC fight infection in the body). A healthy lymphatic system is key to a healthy body. Jumping on a trampoline is a great way to easily move lymph around as is walking or jumping jacks.
The Nourish Me 15 day Health Reset Cleanse
This is a supported liver cleanse and health reset - 15 days of no gluten, dairy, beef, alcohol, coffee, chocolate, refined sugars and other foods that are hard for your liver to digest. It is NOT a juice or liquid-only cleanse although it does incorporate green juices daily. You get to eat food and plenty of it if you choose. Former clients attest to how great they feel after completing the Health Reset. They also feel equipped with the knowledge and tools for self-care going forward.